Last year I planted roughly 100 strawberry plants in my 4×8 Square Foot Garden bed. I think I put them in a little tight. The plants are doing well, but they’re just not providing a copious amount of berries. It’s sufficient to have enough for a small bowl at meals or to snack on when we’re outside, but of course, I wanted freezing amounts. We need gallons, not quarts.
When we lived in Kalispell, there were a couple of farms where we went to pick our own. It was impressive. Row after row of strawberries offered up plenty of delicious strawberries. And it didn’t take that long to pick enough to eat fresh, freeze and make into jam. Over here, there’s no such operation so we need to grow our own.
To remedy the situation, I’m going to take about half of the strawberries out of the bed in the fall, including the babies on the runners, and replant them in one of the other beds. Before the move, I’ll amend the area with compost since strawberries are typically heavy feeders and need a lot. I’ll also dump a lot on the existing bed to increase the nutrient levels in that one, too. Hopefully with a couple of 4×8 beds, we’ll have enough next year to put up a few berries for the winter. And I’m sure I’ll increase the numbers again next fall. It’ll be a long process, but hopefully within a few season we’ll be berry self-sufficient.